Over the past year and a half, a few things have remained constant:
- My mother continues to show determination, optimism and hope.
- An amazing network of friends and family continue to pray for my mother's recovery and offer their support and assistance.
- I continue to look for ways to help families whose loved one is dealing with paralysis and/or has a spinal cord injury (SCI).
Though, we may not have fully addressed this question in length before, thank you for patiently waiting for a sincere answer. There are so many ways that you can get involved and share your abilities!
Support Those with SCI by Generously Donating Your Time
- Advocate for SCI and paralysis research by connecting with a group like Unite to Fight Paralysis.
- Join Team Reeve. Run a race, bike a trail, swim the tides, host a bake sale, plan a party, organize any kind of event that interests you. Turn your passions into a mission to help others!
- Volunteer your time locally with a group dedicated to improving the lives of those with disabilities. Go to volunteermatch.org and select your state and category, "disabilities".
- Sign the online petition to urge congress to pass a National Transverse Myelitis Awareness Day.
Donations To Our Favorite Causes Are Also Appreciated!
I have come across a few very exciting, fundraising efforts recently that I would recommend you consider if you are looking to dedicate additional resources to a cause.
• Downtown Sailing Center (DSC)
Downtown Sailing Center in Baltimore, Maryland. She has been sailing with the DSC all summer through an accessibility program that is completely free to the participants. The staff and volunteers of the DSC do a fantastic job at assuring safety and enjoyment! WE LOVE DSC!
The DSC is trying to raise $5,000 by September 22, the date of the Ya' Gotta Regatta! Please help SUPPORT THIS CAUSE by donating to the DSC on Jan Allmon's DSC Fundraising Page.
Buy a Jan Allmon Scarf on Etsy during the month of September and a $20 donation will be made in your name to our beloved Downtown Sailing Center! (If you buy more than one, a $20 donation will apply to each scarf purchased!)
Visit Jan Allmon's store on Etsy now to pick out your AWESOME scarf! Then, visit the Jan Allmon's DSC Fundraising Page the next day to see your name and donation!
• Buy a Groupon and Support the Life Through Motion Program
My mother can attest to the quality of the rehabilitation program at Kennedy Krieger. Please donate now to help others who are facing the challenges of paralysis and/or a recent spinal cord injury.